Saturday, October 6, 2012

ketchup

having two bebes in two years is HARD. seriously. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. also, not having a fully functioning laptop kills your blogging career, but mostly it was the two bebes in two years thing. anyways, i'm back. did i miss anything?
i have missed blogging. i have a lot of catching up to do. i have really missed grumpy, nurse k, head nurse, new nurse in the hood, and scores of others. i have missed having a creative outlet to unwind and spew my emotions about nursing. hopefully i really am back.
where do i begin again? who am i now?
i guess i am a more experienced nurse. three years in an icu will do that to you, i guess. there is very little that comes my way now that i don't have an answer for, and when i do get something new, i relish it as a treat and an opportunity to learn something new.
just the other day i had a patient had a strain of H1N1. no big deal, right? yeah, except it was summer. and it was a strain from 2010. what?!?!?! seriously. and she was young. 40's right, not in the greatest of health, a few comorbidities, but nothing that would make me think, yeah, this one's a goner. so, of course, i took care of the patient for a coupla days, on BiPAP, without precautions. always seems to happen, right? then, oh yeah, H1N1 guys, make you sure you do precautions. thanks. gal keeps getting worse, buys a tube, and eventually a rotoprone bed. some serious Star Trekian stuff. no dice, dead with a week. weird. never saw that coming.

3 comments:

hoodnurse said...

Omegerd you and xy back in one week! I'm freaking out! Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

I had a patient like that last year...admitted him into ICU - no comorbidities, youngish healthy guy w/flu in respiratory distress that I'm putting on biPAP...two days later, dead. The thing that makes me want to cry is his comment to me, just before I left at the end of my last shift with him, "Yeah, I'll definitely get my flu shot next year." I wish he could.

I'm already vaccinated for this season - how about you?

Travis said...

Welcome back, amigo. There's been a J-shaped hole in my heart without your posts.